Note: The download is only available to those residing in the United States and Canada. In order to receive the free download on September 23rd, you must confirm that you are a resident of the United States or Canada.
Will this change the movie business? Or better, will it change our government?
Does anyone believe that a Fortune 500 company would pick Sarah Palin as their CEO?
When Jack Welch transformed GE, he introduced several new criteria for evaluating executive leadership and performance. His successor, Jeffrey Immelt went through an exhaustive succession planning (er, vetting) process to replace him.
Here's a look at GE's leadership assessment matrix. The key attributes are:
Not bad. Does your company look at leadership this way?
Here are the details:
- Has developed and communicated a clear, simple, customer-focused Vision / direction for the organization.
- Forward-thinking, stretches horizons, challenges imaginations.
- Inspires and energizes others to commit to Vision. Captures minds. Leads by example.
- As appropriate, updates Vision to reflect constant and accelerating change impacting the business.
Customer / Quality Focus
- Listens to customer and assigns the highest priority to customer satisfaction, including internal customers.
- Inspires and demonstrates a passion for excellence in every aspect of work.
- Strives to fulfill commitment to Quality in total product / service offering.
- Lives Customer Service and creates service mind-set throughout organization.
- Maintains unequivocal commitment to honesty / truth in every facet of behavior.
- Follows through on commitments; assumes responsibility for own mistakes.
- Practices absolute conformance with company policies embodying GEI&PS commitment to ethical conduct.
- Actions and behaviors are consistent with words. Absolutely trusted by others.
Accountability / Commitment
- Sets and meets aggressive commitments to achieve business objectives.
- Demonstrates courage / self-confidence to stand up for the beliefs, ideas, - Fair and compassionate yet willing to make difficult decisions.
- Demonstrates uncompromising responsibility for preventing harm to the environment
Communication / Influence
- Communicates in open, candid, clear, complete, and consistent manner – invites response / dissent.
- Listens effectively and probes for new ideas.
- Uses facts and rational arguments to influence and persuade.
- Breaks down barriers and develops influential relationships across teams, functions, and layers.
Shared Ownership / Boundaryless
- Self-confidence to share information across traditional boundaries and be open to new ideas.
- Encourages / promotes shared ownership for Team Vision and goals.
- Trusts others; encourages risk taking and boundaryless behavior.
- Champions Work-Out as a vehicle for everyone to be heard. Open to ideas from anywhere.
Team Builder / Empowerment
- Selects talented people; provides coaching and feedback to develop team members to fullest potential.
- Delegates whole task; empowers team to maximize effectiveness. Is personally a Team Player.
- Recognizes and rewards achievement. Creates positive / enjoyable work environment.
- Fully utilizes diversity of team members (cultural, race, gender) to achieve business success.
Knowledge / Expertise / Intellect
- Possesses and readily shares functional / technical knowledge and expertise. Constant interest in learning.
- Demonstrates broad business knowledge / perspective with cross-functional / multicultural awareness.
- Makes good decisions with limited data. Applies intellect to the fullest.
- Quickly sorts relevant from irrelevant information, grasp essentials of complex issues and initiates action.
Initiative / Speed
- Creates real and positive change. Sees change as an Opportunity.
- Anticipates problems and initiates new and better ways of doing things.
- Hates / avoids / eliminates "bureaucracy" and strives for brevity, simplicity, clarity.
- Understands and uses speed as a competitive advantage.
- Demonstrates global awareness / sensitivity and is comfortable building diverse / global teams.
- Values and promotes full utilization of global and work force diversity.
- Considers the global consequences of every decision. Proactively seeks global knowledge.
- Treats everyone with dignity, trust, and respect.